Lulu's Story:

Lulu's Story: after all, she came first

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Day 40


We’re starting to plan for life after recovery with Lu. Her post surgical follow up is next week and she’s likely to be released from the surgeons care. We want to safeguard her from another episode. Alternative medicine could help; I’d especially like to explore chiropractic care as it helped me with my own spinal issue.

I mentioned Lu’s case to Dr. Dan at Combined Care in Libertyville. While he prefaced the discussion with the fact that he doesn’t treat dogs, he did tell me that his career did include the chiropractic adjustment of a miniature poodle that jumped out of a moving vehicle and another small dog that presented with disc issues. Both dogs fully recovered after the therapy to live long happy lives. I asked Dr. Dan if he would check Lu for any potential disc; he politely declined. But, he said he could refer me to a colleague of his whom at one time treated people but was now working with a vet is Des Plains treating dogs. The funny thing is that the Des Plains doctor is the brother of the vet that owns the Fox Lake clinic where Lu is normally treated. Small world.

After hearing so many stories about dogs that have recovered from disc issues without surgery using only conservative care, it’s been in the back of my mind that maybe we didn’t have to put Lu through all this and that maybe we could have saved a boatload of money. I’m happy to say Dr. Dan put my mind at ease. He said no adjustment could have led to recovery if the disc ruptures leaving debris in the spinal column, which is exactly what happened in Lu’s case. While there’s no going back, I feel better knowing we did the right thing. Now we can move forward with a plan to protect her from future injury...if only she was always sleepy and sedate like in this picture from this morning taken with brother, Gus.

No comments: