Lulu's Story:

Lulu's Story: after all, she came first

Monday, July 12, 2010

Day 20-23


My intention when I started to write was to do so daily no matter what but life has gotten in the way. I had a busy weekend away from Lulu and from home. All the girls went to Lake Geneva to celebrate my closest friend's last days as a single gal. We had a blast and I wish we could do it all over again.

Bill had Lulu and Gus to himself and had a fairly uneventful time of it. He was able to work in the garden some and on my car which sorely needed the attention. He was fixing little bits and pieces when Jen dropped me off on Sunday. Lulu and Gus were in the yard relaxingly in the shade but as soon as they saw me, they both were up and anxious to greet me. Maybe it was the short time away that has allowed me to see Lu's condition more clearly, but it struck me as very sad that her leg is so stiff which creates a very awkward gate. I don't wish to make light of her, but it reminds me of a pirate walking with a peg leg, the way she sort of swings it out to the side to account for not being able to bend it. Anyway, I had this vision of her never walking normally again and I was really sad for her. We have our work cut out for us doing therapy at home to ensure this isn't her future. After I finish writing, I'm heading to Amazon.com to purchase a life vest for water therapy. Gus is getting one too; I don't want the little sh*#@%! to be jealous.

I noticed today that Lu has changed her gate. She's hoping instead of doing the little pirate peg leg walk. I wonder if this is a new way of coping or if maybe she's injured herself? She was more active yesterday than I believe was good for her.

I leave you with a picture of Gus, passed out in the contents of my purse after the Bachelorette party. He's such a showoff and a ham.

No comments: