Lulu's Story:

Lulu's Story: after all, she came first

Friday, July 23, 2010

Day 34


Thank goodness it’s Friday! Yesterday was a long day without much time for the kids and today will be the same. My sister, Heather, and I are going out to have a couple drinks in town before she returns home to Virginia on Monday. By time I arrive home this evening, quality time with the kids will be out of the question, unless you consider letting them sleep with me a good way to bond.

Last week we decided it was time for Lulu (and Gus) to go back to sleeping in their shared bed in the laundry room. They have a comfortable dog bed there that they actually like quite a bit. Of course, they would rather sleep with mom and dad but this never results in very good night’s sleep as Lulu likes to sleep under the covers between us and nearly hyperventilates several time each night. Gus also settles in between and oftentimes lies sideways, stretched out as much as his compact 33 pound frame can manage. Oh, and did I mention Gus snores? He’s amazing in that he snores while awake but truly gets into it in sleep. It’s like a grunting, gurgling sonnet between Gus and Bill while Lulu and I suffer together, our heads buried under the blankets.

Regardless of their preferences, these dogs can sleep. It’s an art form, really. Anytime, anywhere, any strange position imaginable, they’re game. So I guess I will invite them to join me tonight afterall, I do feel guilty.

No comments: