Lulu's Story:

Lulu's Story: after all, she came first

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Day 32



Everyday I get home from work and quickly find Lu, even though Gus is already at my feet. I pat his head and say a brisk hello but it's Lulu I'm after. This may seem like favoritism but it's actually an attempt to keep Lu safe because she's just as excited as Gus to see me so she squirms and whines wanting the chance to come to ME. Once I get to HER, Gus is there too, pushing her out of the way, trying to be the center of attention, that boy.

Any of you feeling sorry for Gus, let me tell you, he usually succeeds at being the most admired. From the very moment of our acquaintance, he showed himself to be the charismatic one. His breeder, Cari, laughed about it, saying he always had to be right in front of the camera as she was trying to photograph the litter. Our first visit to see him, he was just four or five weeks old. We were happy to hold him and look at him, such a cute little guy. When we were ready to leave, we put him on the floor near Cari who was at that time covered with little budding bulldogs. No matter, Gus climbed over his litter mates into the center of Cari's lap, causing the rest of the pups to tumble off her lap, Jenga-like.

When we go out into public with the "kids," everyone exclaims how cute Gus is. They grab his flat face and chuckle, his face is so touchable. My nieces love him. They named one of their stuffed animals after him, calling it Gus-Gus like Lulu. My mother-n-law is also in love. Gus is her boy. He's handsome and as the front desk ladies at Fox Lake Animal hospital say, he's a stud, a ladies man. He's known at Banfield in Vernon Hills too. And the good people at Buffalo Grove Veterinarian Specialty Centers took special notice of him too. He's a ham. He's looker. He's Gusserman, Gusserbutt, Guss-er-licious, as my friend Stacie likes to say. Anyway, he's my boy and he's spoiled.

No comments: