Lulu's Story:

Lulu's Story: after all, she came first

Sunday, September 30, 2012

IVDD Episode 2...day 15


Living with a paralyzed pet and a four month old infant really makes the time fly, but not in a "time flies when you're having fun," way; more like a "life is so hectic I don't have time to think," kind of way. Between bringing Lulu to therapy, cleaning up after her, and caring for my daughter, I feel like I'm getting nothing else done.

Yet Friday's session was positive. I was very excited to tell Dr. Krausser about Lu's progress. But because another dog was in surgery that day, and Dr. Krausser was running late. I use this rare free time to work with Lu, manipulating her legs in hopes to bring about a greater amount of muscle activity. I wanted Dr. Krausser to see the change in Lulu for herself. I was really getting into it, bicycling her legs like she was about to take flight, when I saw the muscle twitching. I mean I SAW it! Before I'd only FELT it. I thought to myself, "Where is that doctor? She needs to see this too!"

Let me tell you a little bit about Dr. Krausser. She is fairly new to veterinary medicine, but she's a mature woman, probably around my parent's age. She explained to me that veterinary care was a second career for her, but it was always something she had a passion to do. She combines her love of animals and traditional medicine with Eastern and natural medicine. I would describe her personality as gentle, compassionate, quite and aloof, especially aloof.

Back to my story...enter Dr. Krausser stage left. I tell her about the changes we've seen in Lulu. Here I thought she'd be surprised and elated, but she expressed less excitement than I anticipated. I was a bit disappointed, and to top it off, as I was relating the news Lu's leg muscles calmed. While Dr. Krausser prepared the needles for our session, I began to pump at Lulu's legs again, wishing for the same visible reaction I'd seen only moments before. Sure enough, I was able to produce the same quivering; excited, I said, "Look! Look at her leg!"

Absentminded as usual, Dr. Krausser didn't seem to realize I was speaking to her. I exclaimed, "Look at her leg!" Dr. Krausser slowly turned her head towards Lu and said, "Oh, that's good." I thought to myself, "Good? It's great! It's movement we haven't seen before!" In the end, Dr. Krausser was happy to see the changes, but was quick to remind me that we have a long way to go, and that progress is not always linier. We may see a setback before we see more progress. I hope, and she hopes, this isn't the case.

No comments: